Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Golden Sower Award
In honor the Golden Sower Nominees for the Upper Grades 4-6 we created a corner display to encourage our 4th graders to read the 10 Golden Sower Books.  The sower is tossing out his seeds (books) in order to grow an amazing flower (Golden Sower Award).  I tried to encourage students to read these 10 books by giving book talks and watching a few book trailers.   Below is a list of the 10 books and their authors:

Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea
Everything for a Dog by Ann M. Martin
Familiars, The by Adam J. Epstein and Andrew Jacobson; illustrated by Peter Chan and Kei Acedera
Fantastic Secret of Owen Jester, The by Barbara O' Connor
Love, Aubrey by Suzanne LaFleur
Lucky: Maris, Mantle, and My Best Summer Ever by Wes Tooke
Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper
Storm Mountain by Tom Birdseye
Walls Within Walls by Maureen Sherry; illustrated by Adam Stower
Wildfire Run by Dee Garretson
If you go to the Nebraska Golden Sower Award site you will find lots of information about these books.http://www.goldensower.org/index.htm

Out of the whole list I successfully read 9 of the 10 books.  I am not much into fantasy books so "The Familiars" was not a favorite of mine.  I did enjoy "Out of My Mind" it brought tears to my eyes.  I chose to read "The Fantastic Secret of Owen Jester" by Barbara O'Connor aloud to all my 4th graders.  It took us approximately 10 class periods to finish the book.  We learned all about submarines and bullfrogs while we were reading the book.  I contacted Barbara about the possibility of Skyping her to learn more about the book and she graciously agreed. So on Friday, Jan 18 we will visit with her over the internet.  Students had a chance to learn more about Barbara by visiting her website and watching a short author video on her.  I can't wait to share this experience with the students on Friday!


No comments:

Post a Comment